Plants and flower pots can be heavy items to move around. The good news is you can eliminate the trouble with a rolling plant caddy. You can build one yourself using rustic wood or precut pieces from your local home store.
Stability is the key here. Plan to build the caddy large enough so that your largest potted plant will fit on top. When you choose the wheels, be sure they are big enough to manage any terrain in your yard or patio. Larger wheels tend to be more stable. Consider wheels with a locking option for added safety.
Shapes and Styles
As many planters are round, a round platform works nicely but as long as the flat surface you work with fits the pot you're using with it, any shape can work. Most hardware stores sell pre-cut wood circles ranging in sizes. These often come with smoothly finished sides that look nice with or without additional paint or stain.
Craft stores and superstores sell standard-sized wooden crates, which might work as the top of your caddy if all your planters will fit inside. You may want to use the whole crate or trim the sides down so you won’t have to lift planters as high.
If either of the above options is appealing to you, you'll just need 4 casters and Step 5 of the following project. If you'd prefer to tailor your caddy to a specific size you can build a simple rustic wood square or rectangle with just a few materials. Here's an example that results in a 10-inch rolling caddy
2 10-inch lengths of 1X4
5 10-inch lengths of 1X2
4 casters or wheels of your choice
- Lay the 2 1X4 pieces next to each other on a flat surface. They should be parallel to each other with about 2 inches of space between them.
- Next, evenly place the 1X2 pieces on top of the 1X4s, they should be perpendicular to the Pieces from Step 1.
- Secure the pieces with wood screws and wood glue for extra strength. Allow the glue to dry completely.
- If you want to add some color to your project, paint or stain the caddy and allow the finish to dry completely.
- Flip the project over so that the 1X2 section is touching the table. Place a wheel in each corner and secure to the 1X4 sections with screws.
That's it! This plant caddy will surely come in handy. Apply lubricant to the wheels every so often and it should last a long time!